PEER-TO-PEER Support and
Share the joys of Breastfeeding
Consider becoming an accredited volunteer
La Leche League Leader
La Leche League is a mother-to-mother, peer-to-peer breastfeeding support organization.
- Our volunteers, called “Leaders,” have all breastfed their babies into toddlerhood. The personal experience of breastfeeding or chestfeeding for at least a year is, thus, an important LLLI Prerequisite to Applying for Leadership.
- LLL Leaders are volunteers for an international organization. They are not paid for the work they do.
- Experience with a La Leche League Group, understanding and role-modelling LLL philosophy, and good communication skills are important prerequisites.
- Attending LLL meetings either in-person or virtually, and getting involved with the Group, will help you decide if LLL is an organization where you want to volunteer.
Prerequisites to Applying
As an international organization, La Leche League standards for Leader accreditation are the same worldwide. All Leaders are expected to meet the LLLI Prerequisites to Applying for Leadership and to value and model the organization’s philosophy in their own lives. La Leche League is committed to serving anyone who wants to breastfeed their baby and seeks accreditation of a diverse body of Leaders.
Finding LLL Meetings to Attend
One of the LLLI Prerequisite to Applying for LLL Leadership is: “Has attended four LLL Meetings.” Even if there is no LLL Group where you live, you can attend a virtual meeting in another town or another country. Start by looking here: https://llli.org/get-help/. Join the LLLI Facebook Group and ask how to find a meeting near you: https://llli.org/get-help/breastfeeding-support-facebook-group/. Fill out the Leader Inquiry form below.
During the application, you will be part of a team that will include the Group Leader(s) and a Leader Accreditation Department member. With them, you’ll complete several learning experiences that prepare you for the role of LLL Leader. You’ll acquire leadership skills through a variety of opportunities, such as: reading, reflecting on personal experiences, discussing La Leche League philosophy, observing meetings, attending workshops (if available), and talking with other Leaders. You’ll research common breastfeeding topics, learn effective communication skills, and practice addressing questions and handling challenging breastfeeding situations. Accreditation is often completed within 6-12 months. The time it takes to complete is related to the pace set by the Applicant.
Avoiding Mixing Causes
La Leche League Leaders are volunteers who support breastfeeding and advocate for the breastfeeding relationship. Leaders may not use their Leader status for commercial gain derived from non-LLL activities or to promote their personal non-LLL interests. Many Leaders use an email specific to their LLL work to avoid confusion with roles such as IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant), doula, massage therapist, childcare provider, etc.
If you are thinking about volunteering as a La Leche League Leader, here are the first steps:
- Read through the LLLI Prerequisites to Applying for Leadership and decide if you meet them.
- If you are currently attending LLL meetings, virtually or in-person, talk with one of the Group Leaders.
- Read The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, if available in an accessible language and format.
- Read Thoughts about Becoming an LLL Leader and IBCLC, if you are, or are planning to become, an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant.
- Consult the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page, if you have questions about meeting the prerequisites or anything else about leadership.
Here are a few helpful videos for those considering becoming a leader:
Interested in LLL Leadership? presented by Rachel Concitis at the LLLI 65th Anniversary Conference
Deutsch – Español – Français – English– 中文 – 日本語
Conviértete en Líder/Monitora de LLL Monica en la Conferencia del 65º aniversario del LLLI
¿Te gustaría convertirte en Líder/Monitora de la Liga de La Leche?
LLL : comment devenir animatrice/monitrice par Pauline Desnous
If you are not currently attending a Group, or still have questions, submit a Leader Inquiry Form.
Before filling out this Leader Inquiry Form, please make sure you can answer yes to the following questions.
- I have breastfed a child for 12 months or more.
- I have attended at least four LLL meetings, either virtually or in-person, if possible.
- I understand that the steps to accreditation as an LLL Leader include self-study, writing, reading and discussion with a supporting Leader and a member of the Leader Accreditation Department.
- I understand that being an accredited LLL Leader is volunteer work.