LLLI Recruitment, Interview, and Selection
La Leche League International is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate in the hiring process on the basis of sex, religion, race, color, age, or national origin. The same actions apply to the hiring of any handicapped person unless the handicap is directly related to job performance.
LLLI endeavors to hire individuals, based on their training and technical skills relative to the position, their demonstrated ability, personality, and temperament.
The Executive Director or her designate must be contacted prior to undertaking any action to procure help. Appropriate Department Head (Department Head refers to the staff person who will be the immediate supervisor of the person hired.) will work with the Executive Director or her designate in all matters concerning the application process.
Prior to employing an individual, the following preliminary steps must be taken to ensure both the uniformity of our personnel practices and compliance with the various laws concerned with employment practices. These are the steps or procedures:
- Action to begin the employment request must be initiated by the Executive Director, her designate or the Department Head, depending on the job level involved, or in a written request to one of these three from a Department Supervisor.
- The Department Head requesting a new position or replacement must submit in writing the request identifying the job position and need to her immediate supervisor. The supervisor must take up the issue with the Executive Director and Controller. When a request for a new permanent position which will require a budget modification is received, the Executive Director will advise the appropriate Board Committee staff representative, who will request the Board Committee Chairmen seek Board approval. When an executive level position is to be filled, the Board Standing Committee Chairman directly involved and the Personnel Committee Chairman are to be notified.
- The Executive Director or her designate must then verify if a Job Description has been written and is up-to-date. The Job Description must include a description of duties, responsibilities, qualifications.
- If a current Job Description does not exist, the Executive Director or her designate and Department Head will prepare one. This Job Description, together with the Request, then goes to the Personnel Committee for review and Executive Director’s office for final approval.
- If the Request is approved, the Department Head may rehire a person from the established Recall List held by the Executive Director or her designate. The Recall List consists of past employees who have been laid off due to a lack of work. If a person from the Recall List is not available or qualified, the Executive Director or her designate will post the opening with the Job Description at LLLI for a period of ten working days.
- Employees may then apply for the opening. Applications and/or resumes must be submitted to the Executive Director or her designate in writing.
- The Department Head is to review the applications submitted by employees. Applicants will be interviewed. A suitable person from within LLLI may be hired at this point.
- If a suitable person is not then available, applications on file must be reviewed. The Executive Director or her designate will keep all applications of the past three months. If a suitable person is not available from past applicants, advertisements and where they are to be placed must be submitted to the Executive Director or her designate.
- If a suitable applicant is found, after interviewing he or she may be hired.
- If desirable, the Executive Director or her designate may coordinate this process to allow an internal search, and an outside search simultaneously to produce applicants.
- Interviewing and selection may be done by a person designated by the Executive Director, her designate, or the Department Head, depending on the job level involved. For executive level positions the Chairman of the Standing Board Committee involved will receive a list of the members of the Interview Committee.This Committee will include the Executive Director, representative of the appropriate Standing Board Committee with which the individual will work, appropriate and as required, expert(s) in the field to facilitate questioning (if not on Committee) and staff. Final selection for an executive level position is made by the Executive Director. Executive level employees are those who report directly to the Executive Director.
- The actual hiring of persons will be done by the Executive Director, Department Head, or Executive Director or her designate depending on the job level involved.
- After an employee has been hired, the Executive Director or her designate must be notified in writing. The Executive Director or her designate will obtain all pertinent information including tax, insurance, etc., from the employee.
Department in Need of New Staff
Board Committee Chairman and Finance Committee Chairman
(Nov 82; rev Feb 99)