International Code and Conflicts Committee
In this Commission, the World Health Organization (WHO) International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes and subsequent relevant World Health Assembly (WHA) Resolutions are referred to as the International Code.
The LLLI International Code and Conflicts Committee (hereafter Code and Conflicts Committee) is a Standing Committee commissioned to help LLLI to evaluate potential LLLI:
- webinar presenters
- conference speakers
- other collaborators or members of LLLI forums, as needed.
- conflicts with the provisions of the International Code
- incompatibility with LLL Philosophy (LINK)
- risks to the LLL image or reputation
- conflicts of interest as defined in the Conflict of Interest
Other LLL entities may also consult with this Committee, as needed.
LLLI is fully committed to the International Code and will avoid any relationship with a company, organization, or individual who does not fulfill their obligations under the Code.
In addition, LLLI will not enter into a relationship with any company, organization, or individual whose actions conflict with LLL supporting mothers and parents to nurse their babies or whose practices conflict with the LLL Philosophy.
The duties of the International Code and Conflicts Committee are
- to review LLL Policies and Standing Rules (PSR) related to the International Code, to ensure consistency with the Collaborative Action policy and LLL Philosophy, and to prevent risks to the LLL image or reputation, or conflicts of interest as described in the LLL Conflict of Interest policy
- to evaluate potential relationships that LLLI, and upon request, other LLL entities, or Leaders may be considering with corporate entities, the media, other business interests, or individuals that could present conflicts with the International Code, conflicts of interest as defined in the LLL Conflict of Interest policy, incompatibility with LLL Philosophy as presented on the LLLI Website, or risks to the LLLI image or reputation
- to offer information and guidance to the LLLI Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED), the Development Director, or other LLLI staff, LLL entities, or Leaders who have questions pertaining to these issues
- to make recommendations to the LLLI Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED), the Development Director, or other LLLI staff, LLL entities, or Leaders related to the International Code, possible conflicts with LLL Philosophy, conflicts of interest as defined by the LLL Conflict of Interest policy, or risks to the LLL image or reputation
- to ensure that the references to and discussion of the International Code in the Leader’s Handbook are reviewed and updated semi-annually to reflect changes in:
- the International Code
- new WHA resolutions impacting the description of the International Code in the relevant chapter
- information about LLLI partnerships related to the International Code
- resources for Leader training
- to make current recommendations regarding LLLI Board and Leader training in the International Code and facilitate such training, when possible.
To best fulfill the mandate of this Committee, documentation of the International Code training or other training in the International Code approved by the Code and Conflicts of Interest Committee chair(s) is a minimum requirement for joining the Committee. La Leche League International covers any cost of Board approved training.
It is a goal of the Committee Chair(s) to seek Committee members who have relevant skills and experience and can collectively offer the additional qualifications recommended below:
- academic, legal, or organizational background in conflict of interest laws and policies
- experience in academic work or research, healthcare, or government agencies related to breastfeeding
- a willingness to serve more than one term in order to preserve experience, knowledge, and continuity.
Members serve a one-year term, which is renewable. The preference is for members to serve more than one term to ensure continuity.
(date not recorded; March 2023)